T BAILEY INC. has been fabricating shop-built tanks for over 25 years. During that time, our process-driven professionals have consistently exceeded the expectations of our clients and have established T BAILEY INC. as an industry leader in the world of steel fabrication.
At our Anacortes facilities, we have the ability to complete each stage of the shop-built tank fabrication process in-house. Design, fabrication, painting and blasting, testing, and delivery — T BAILEY INC. is your one-stop-shop when it comes to crafting powerful shop-built tanks.
We serve clients in both the industrial and commercial sectors, and have the ability to fabricate single and double-walled shop-built tanks over 100 feet long and 20 feet in diameter.
T BAILEY INC.’s shop-built tanks are fabricated from the highest quality carbon or stainless steel and must pass rigorous in-house testing before being shipped to the client.
Shop-Built Tank Capabilities
At T BAILEY INC., our fabrication experts are capable of producing a wide variety of shop-built tanks. Our capabilities are:
- Shop-built tank codes: API 650, AWWA D100, ASME Section VIII – Div 1, & UL 142, F921 and 2085.
- Materials Used: Carbon steel and stainless steel
- Walls: Single and double-walled tanks
- Range of wall thickness: ~3/16 to 2”
- Working Position: Vertical or horizontal
- Head Assembly Method: Welded or bolted flange
- Head Geometry: flanged and dished, flared, semi-elliptical, or hemispherical
Shop-Built Tank Certifications
As an industry leader in the Northwest, T BAILEY INC. holds the highest levels of shop-built tank certification.
- API – 620, 650, and 12F certification for petroleum tanks.
- ASME U-Stamp certification for pressure vessels.
- ASME NBIC R-Stamp, for making repairs and alterations to ASME stamped pressure vessels.
- NB-Stamp certification. Ensures T BAILEY INC. will register all fabricated pressure vessels with the National Board.
- SSPC QP3 certification for painting.
- UL142, F921, and 2085
At T BAILEY INC. we fabricate the best shop-built tanks in the Northwest. How? By continually training our professionals and improving our certification.
Design And Shop-Built Tank Engineering
Do you need help with the design and engineering of your shop-built tank? We can help you get that done. Starting with design, T BAILEY INC. is able to execute every step of the shop-built tank fabrication process.
By working with the best engineers, we will design a shop assembled tank that meets the needs of your project and fits within your budget.
Our design and engineering services include:
- Preliminary planning
- Conceptual design creation
- Performance and strength calculations
- Cost recommendations
- CAD modeling
T BAILEY INC.’s Shop-Built Tank Fabrication Process
As soon as T BAILEY INC.’s design engineers finish modeling your shop assembled tank, the design is passed on to our fabrication division. Shop-built tank fabrication is normally completed in these steps:
- Use CNC plasma cutters to cut out and etch the steel plate.
- Beveling of the weld seams as needed to provide a quality weld.
- Transform the plate into cylinders by passing it through rolling machines.
- Weld the longitudinal seam of the cylinder.
- Weld on one head and join the cylinders to create the tank shell.
- Attach the final head to the shop-built tank using single or tandem head welding manipulators.
- If required, install nozzles in the tank’s shell.
- Attach additional hardware, lifting devices, or structural supports.
- If needed, create and attach platforms, ladders, and other accessories.
- Forward the tank to T BAILEY INC.’s testing division, where the completed shop-built tank will have to pass rigorous testing and quality control
- T BAILEY’s paint division completes the product with all painting and coating requirements before being shipped to the customer.
Shop-Built Tank Testing & Quality Control
T BAILEY INC. keeps a CWB Certified Welding Supervisor and AWS Certified Welding Inspector in house as our Director of Quality Assurance. He ensures that each shop-built tank is able to successfully pass a series of intensive testing before being cleared for shipment.
The testing we do includes:
- Visual inspection and step by step monitoring of all processes to ensure the best possible quality
- Radiographic Testing (RT)
- Ultrasonic Testing (UT)
- Dye Penetrant Testing (PT)
- Magnetic Particle Testing (MT)
- Heat treating and stress relieving
- Hardness Testing
- Impact Testing
- Positive Material Identification (PMI)
- Leak Testing
- Hydrostatic Testing, up to 2,500 psig
- Environmental monitoring and reporting
- Soluble Salt Testing
- Full blast and lining profile measuring
- Dry film thickness testing
- Adhesion Testing
- Lining continuity (holiday) testing
Working with T BAILEY INC. means working with some of the best quality control experts in the world. When you receive a shop-built tank from us, you can rest in the knowledge that your tank has successfully passed intensive and comprehensive testing.
AISC Painting & Blasting For Shop-Built Tanks
What sets T BAILEY INC. apart from the competition is that we are able to perform every step of the shop-built tank fabrication process in-house — including painting and blasting.
Our process-driven professionals will protect the integrity of your shop assembled tank by beginning the painting process in the first stages of fabrication and continuing until the tank’s completion. This ensures that you receive a shop-built tank built to resist corrosion and able to last for many years.
Our AISC painting and blasting services include:
- Prewashing the steel to eliminate soluble salt, oil, and other contaminants per SSPC SP1.
- Prepping the steel for coating by machine or manual blasting.
- Metalizing the tank with aluminum or zinc.
- Lastly, we prime and finish the coating and lining with epoxies, urethanes, zinc, enamels, and vinyl ester coatings.
Because we have our own industrial coating division in-house, you can save thousands of dollars on painting and blasting fees by working with T BAILEY INC.
Shop-Built Tank Shipping Options
T BAILEY INC.’s industry-leading facilities are located 5 miles from the deep-water port at Anacortes, 10 miles from the interstate, and just 7 miles from our rail spur. Our nearness to these delivery options allows you to choose the most budget-friendly shipping option for your shop-built tank.
Our shipping options are:
- Truck: we have our own expert truck drivers who can deliver completed shop-built tanks to local job sites. For farther distances or oversized loads, T BAILEY INC. coordinates with skilled third-party trucking companies.
- Barge: if you are located in Hawaii or Alaska, we can deliver your shop-built tank via barge or steamship.
- Rail: our rail spur allows us to ship anywhere in the continental United States and Canada.
To help you choose the best shipping option for your project and budget, we will provide you with a cost analysis of each of the available options.
Shop-Built Tank Project
Take a look at one of our completed shop built tank projects