T BAILEY INC.’s Penstock Capabilities
Our highly trained fabrication professionals are able to create a large variety of steel penstock. Our capabilities are:
- Materials Used: Carbon steel
- Length: Up to 120’
- Diameter: Up to 15’
- Wall Thickness: 3/8th to 1”
- Angles: Whatever curves the client needs
Our fabricators can handle even the most creative of penstock designs, so if you don’t see the capabilities you need — don’t worry. Contact us today to learn how T BAILEY INC. can customize our systems to fulfill your penstock needs. For more information about our penstock fabrication services, contact T BAILEY, INC. today.
We Are Certified Penstock Fabricators
One of the ways we hold our place as industry leading penstock fabricators is by maintaining top-level certification.
- AWS D1.1 certification for welding.
- SSPC QP3 certification for painting.
- DOT certification for Washington, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, California, and Hawaii.
At T BAILEY INC., our certifications demonstrate our dedication to fabricating the best steel penstock in the Northwest.
Penstock Design And Engineering
While we don’t design penstocks from scratch, we will help you refine and test the designs you already have. If you come to us with a conceptual design, we can advise you with geometry and strength calculations.
We work with some of the best engineers in the region, and together we will make sure your penstock design is a perfect fit for the needs of your job and your company’s budget.
Our design and engineering services include:
- Performance and strength calculations
- Geometry assistance
- Cost recommendations
- CAD modeling
AISC Painting And Blasting For Penstock
An advantage of choosing to work with T BAILEY INC. is that this gives you access to our in-house industrial coating division. By keeping our blasting and coating on the same property as our fabrication, we are able to save your company thousands of dollars in transportation fees.
Another benefit of working with a fabrication company that has an in-house coating division is that we are able to begin treating your steel from the very start of the fabrication process. By being able to blast and coat your steel from the beginning of fabrication until the end, T BAILEY INC. gives your penstock a huge longevity bonus.
Our blasting and AISC painting processes include:
- Prewashing the steel to eliminate contaminants, soluble salt, and oil per SSPC SP1.
- Machine and manual blasting of the penstock steel to prepare the surface for coating.
- Metalizing casing with aluminum or zinc.
- Prime and finish the coating with zinc, urethanes, enamels, epoxies, and vinyl ester coatings. Will your penstock be exposed or buried? The coatings are determined by what the environmental conditions facing your penstock will be.
T BAILEY INC.’s Penstock Fabrication Process
As soon as we receive your penstock designs, our expert fabricators will begin cutting and rolling your steel.
Our penstock fabrication process typically flows in this order:
- Cut and etch steel plate with CNC plasma cutters.
- Roll the plate into cylinders.
- Weld the longitudinal seam of the cylinder.
- Form penstock bends by hand welding
- Assemble cylinders and bends into final penstock pipe form by using a sophisticated submerged arc welder to attach pieces via their circumferential seams.
- Blast and coat steel to make penstock impervious to environmental conditions.
- Pass penstock onward to T BAILEY INC.’s testing division. Our penstock is never cleared for shipping unless it passes our intensive testing and quality control process.
Steel Penstock Testing And Quality Control
T BAILEY INC.’s state-of-the-art testing and quality control division is led by an in-house AWS Certified Welding Inspector and CWB Certified Welding Supervisor. Our testing division ensures that all our penstocks are able to pass a series of rigorous tests. If a piece of penstock doesn’t meet T BAILEY INC.’s high quality standard, it doesn’t get shipped.
Our testing and quality control process includes:
- Visual inspection and step by step monitoring of all processes to ensure the best possible quality
- Radiographic Testing (RT)
- Ultrasonic Testing (UT)
- Dye Penetrant Testing (PT)
- Magnetic Particle Testing (MT)
- Heat treating and stress relieving
- Hardness Testing
- Impact Testing
- Positive Material Identification (PMI)
- Leak Testing
- Hydrostatic Testing, up to 2,500 psig
- Environmental monitoring and reporting
- Soluble Salt Testing
- Full blast and lining profile measuring
- Dry film thickness testing
- Adhesion Testing
- Lining continuity (holiday) testing
When you work with T BAILEY INC. you can rest easy in the knowledge that you will receive the highest quality penstock in the Northwest. Our quality control division ensures that our penstock is fabricated from the best steel and is able to successfully meet the requirements of your job site.
Shipping Options For Penstock
Another powerful advantage of working with T BAILEY INC. is that we offer three different shipping options. We are situated a short 5 miles from a deep-water port, 7 miles from our rail spur, and 10 miles from an international interstate. This gives you flexibility when choosing the best shipping option for your location and budget.
Our shipping options include:
- Rail: we have access to a rail spur that allows us to ship throughout the United States and Canada.
- Truck: we offer our in-house truck drivers for local job sites. For oversized loads or farther distances, we work with trusted third-party trucking companies.
- Barge: if you are located in Hawaii or Alaska, we can deliver your steel penstock via barge or steamship.
To help you choose the best shipping option for your project and budget, we will provide you with a detailed cost analysis of each of the available options.